Thursday, June 25, 2020

Inserting Parameter Values into Drawing Text

The last parameter workflow that I wanted to share is how to insert a model parameter into a drawing note.  It is a feature I rarely use, but I don't do production work full-time.  The process is pretty simple but will link the value from the model to the drawing note text.  You will be at your most productive when you can create these types of relationships which cause Inventor to do the bulk of your time-consuming tasks.

To illustrate this, I thought about scenarios where drawings have notes about unmarked fillet radii.  This is where filleted edges are not dimensioned but the user will place a note that reads, "All unmarked fillets to be 1/16 in."  To make that note more intelligent, I could create a user parameter named FilletRadius, then use that parameter when creating the required fillets.  When I add the note on the drawing, I could insert the FilletRadius parameter's value into my note, instead of typing that value out.  Which would save me from having to edit the note if the FilletRadius value changes.

So the first step would be to create the necessary Model or User parameter.  For my example, I am going to create one called FilletRadius.


Then I need to create the Fillet features that use that value as the radius value.


The last step would be in the drawing file.  You start a Text Annotation as usual and type and static text that you need in the note.  For my example, I would type, "Unmarked radii have a radius of."  To get the User Parameter into the annotation, I configure the drop-down menus above the text pane.  Selecting the file, User or Model parameter, the required parameter, and the precision.  After those selections are correct, you can click on Insert Parameter, which will insert the specified value into the note text.  Then you can finish the note off with any other static text.


Here is a video demonstration of how to insert the parameter.



That is all there is to it.  Again, this creates a dynamic link between the model parameter and the text note.  This will eliminate having to update the model value and the note text if the unmarked fillet radii change.  The scenarios of where this can be useful are numerous.  Hopefully, you can use this technique to build similar relationships between model parameters and text notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment