Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Copying iProperties from Model to Drawing

Recently, a customer asked me if it were possible to use iLogic to copy certain iProperties from their model to the drawing.  They use certain ones on the title block, but want them in the drawing so they can be searchable in Vault.  After thinking about what the code would look like for a little while, I realized that Inventor is capable of doing that right out of the box.

In the Document Settings of an IDW, you can select properties that should be copied from a model.  It works right out-of-the-box on standard iProperties.  Custom iProperties will need a sample file so that Inventor can build the mapping.

I then realized these setting only produces a one-time push.  That is when I discovered the command to "Updated Copied Properties."  It was at that moment that I realized that I could automate the process through some iLogic.  I have to give a big "kudos" to the "Being Inventive" blog.  The heavy lifting of the syncing is thanks to the code that published.

You can see the original "Being Inventive" blog post HERE

You can download the text to the Update Copied iProperties External iLogic rule HERE

Here is my Screencast video that shows how to set this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment