Thursday, June 2, 2016

Current Survey Technology: Part 2 Data Processing

The Processing of the Data is pretty simple, thanks to the ReCap 360 Pro workflow.  On the ReCap 360 Pro website, I can start a new "Photo to 3D"  project.  All I have to do is upload the photos identify the control points.

When I pick a control point in a photo, I can then enter the coordinates for that point.  I can even enter the information in Latitude, Longitude, and Elevation format.  In my case, the MapIt - Mobile app gave me the Latitude and Longitude, so I had to use the USGS website to get the elevations for my control points.

When identifying the control points, it is feasible to identify the points in as many photos as possible.  I have tried this in the past, and it has really overloaded the system.  Autodesk's official opinion is that you are to let the software auto register the photographs.  Which is what I would do if I was not trying to properly geolocate the model, and have it scaled properly.  So I try to identify the control points in about 3 photos.

After the manual registration process, I can pick my output file types and let the system process the model.  When it comes to output files, I always pick RCS and ORTHO for Survey based models.  The RCS can be loaded into the ReCap desktop application.  I will sometimes include the RCM, which is the Autodesk Memento file format.  I will occasionally include this so I have it if I want to load the model into Memento.

Here is a Screencast that demonstrates the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment