Monday, March 8, 2021

My First Month with a 3D Printer

I have been wanting a 3D printer for a number of years now but wasn't sure how much use I would get out of it, so it remained a "wish list" item.  Then recently, we realized that it could be used to make 3D stencils for my wife's furniture refinishing business. Initially, I was looking at smaller printers, but since my wife wanted to make decent-sized stencils, we needed a larger printer. I started looking for affordable printers, with a larger printable area, and good reviews.

After several months of research, I landed on the Creality CR-10 S5.  It has a 500 mm x 500 mm x 500 mm build area.  It was within our budget and had many good reviews on Amazon and YouTube.  So I ordered it and it took about two weeks to arrive because the printer was out of stock when I went to order it.

I was very excited the day it arrived. I knew it would take a week or two to learn all the intricacies of the printer and get it tuned for easy use. That was a little bit of an understatement. It only took about 15 minutes to assemble and get working. However, it took a bit of time for me to figure it out. There are plenty of places to learn about how to 3D print, but I was confident in this being an easy machine to use that I didn't bother watching those videos and just jumped right in. It took me about a day to get a completed good print.

My first issue was bed leveling.  The first problem is that I didn't bother leveling it properly.  I was too excited to print and I didn't quite understand the process, so I half-heartedly leveled the bed.  Once I learned how to do it properly, I developed a pretty good system and now  I check my bed for levelness several times a week.  I have seen several users highly recommend the BLTouch auto-bed leveling system.  I am a little intimidated by the process of installing that, so I am holding off at the moment.  I feel that I have a pretty good system and have the bed in a good situation.  I can say that the table I had the printer on originally was not a good table.  It was older and I think I was fighting bed levelness issues because the table was not truly level itself.  I switched to a different table and my bed leveling issues were not as bad.

Bed adhesion was also a problem right away.  This printer came with a tempered glass bed.  I thought that was great because I have read about people costly have to change build plates.  My mistake here was that I thought that the glass was designed for the filament to stick to automatically.  After just a few minutes of research, I discovered that I was wrong.  You need to do something to the bed to help the filament stick.  I chose glue sticks, mostly because we already had that in the house.  Those have worked more often than not.  I have had a few projects that still don't stick well in the corners.  However, this printer has a large print area and I am not sure if the outer corners are getting hot enough.  I have read about people using hair spray, so I tried that and it didn't work as well as the glue sticks.  I also tried covering the bed with masking tape.  That didn't work well for me.  So I think I will stick with the glue sticks.

One issue that I feel I finally have resolved is the issue of the proper bed to nozzle distance.  It also plays a part in my bed adhesion issues.  I was following the advice I have seen online of sliding a piece of paper under the nozzle and when it slides freely then I have proper spacing.  I was still having some slight adhesion issues after doing that.  What I tried this past week that seemed to make a difference is that I would still use the piece of paper.  However, I adjusted the bed to the point where I could feel the paper catching a little.  Also, I could see the nozzle scar the paper just a little.  I had done that in the past and the nozzle was so close to the bed that my first layer was not the right thickness.  So to compensate, I just used the settings in the printer to then move the nozzle up 0.1 mm.  Since my layer height was 0.2 mm, it is essentially a half step.  This has helped immensely.  In previous prints, I would find that the first layer was inconsistent, some spots would be the full layer height, and others spots would be only a partial thickness.  My last two prints had a very consistent first layer.

I know that this sounds as if this has been a challenging month, and in ways it was.  My emotional state would fluctuate from ecstatic that my prints were going well to feeling like I made a mistake buying a printer.  Sometimes that was during the same print.  I really have enjoyed having the printer and feel like I have learned a lot.  If you are going to buy, or have just bought your first printer, hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes.  

I can also say, that I have learned that fine-tuning your printer can be as unique as people's taste in food or music.  What works great for me may not work well for you.  I tried to find optimal settings for bed and nozzle temperatures.  As I tried to replicate those, I found that I have had to run mine a little hotter than some recommended settings.  Maybe as I get more confident, I will start adjusting those down.  I have already started to tweak my normal bed temperature down because I was trying to compensate for bed leveling and adhesion issues.

I do plan on sharing some more lessons I learn as I go about doing more 3D printing, but for now, here are some pictures of my failures and successes.

3D Stencil

Church Window Decor

Wall hook that I printed with a bad extrusion feed rate setting

An example of my bed adhesion issues

My first successful print, the obligatory 3D Benchy


 

  




No comments:

Post a Comment